2 Mesogeion Avenue , 115 27 Athens, Building C, 2nd Floor.
Tel: 0030 210-7702861
Fax: 0030 210-7702861
Background: The metabolic syndrome (MS) consists of a constellation of disorders, recognized for their atherosclerotic action. The presence of MS increases the danger of cardiovascular diseases and is related to the development of coronary heart disease (CHD). Aim: The aim of this study was: (a) to record the appearance of the diagnostic criteria of MS in people suffering from CHD, (b) to explore the association of MS with the individual socio-demographic and medical factors such as gender, body mass index (BMI), age at diagnosis of CHD, total blood cholesterol level, and (c) to record the knowledge about MS of the people studied. Method: This study took place in 2 cardiology clinics in 2 hospitals in Heraklion, Crete from September 2008 to March 2009. A total of 150 patients diagnosed with CHD were studied. The data were collected by personal interview, including completion of a health questionnaire. Statistical analysis was conducted through the use of the Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) v.17.0. The diagnosis of MS was made according to the National Education Program Adult - Treatment Panel III (NCEP-ATP III). Results: Of the 150 patients (97 men and 53 women) suffering from CHD, 92 (61.3%) were diagnosed with MS. Of the remaining 58 (38.7%) patients not suffering from MS, 37 (24.7%) met two of the syndrome diagnostic criteria. The frequency of MS did not appear to be related to gender. The patients with MS were diagnosed with CHD at a younger age than those who were not suffering from MS (p=0.044). A greatly increased BMI was closely related with the presence of MS (p=0.001). The majority of the patients (92.7%) were completely unaware of the existence of MS. Conclusions: It was concluded that 3 of 5 patients with CHD met the MS criteria. The lack of general knowledge about the existence of MS and its risks emphasizes the need to provide information not only for the patients with CHD, but also for the general population. Effective ways of informing the population about MS and its associated disorders may help to prevent not only the appearance of the syndrome but most probably also the development of CHD.
|Category:||Volume 50, N 1|
|Authors:||Diamanto Spirelli , Konstantina Chamalaki , Areti Stavropoulou , Georgios Kritsotakis , Zacharias Zidianakis|